In 1913, the house at 1719 Abercorn Street was built by Mr. Robbie Cope for $20,000. Mr. Cope was the President of Reliance Fertilizer Company, which was the family business. The lot was given to Mrs. Cope by her family, the Lovell’s, who owned a great deal of land in Chatham County.
The home is the only one in the area with a basement and was constructed of solid brick and cement stucco. The cement was bought in barrels and mixed on site. Originally, the home was heated with coal but was later converted to oil. Mahogany was used throughout the house for many of the fireplaces and pocket doors, now only two of which are left.
On the north side of the home was a two car garage, a dog run, and a chicken run. In front of the house on Abercorn Street ran the street car line that ran from Bay Street to 40th Street, and looped down Barnard Street. The large windows on the ground floor had window seats that concealed hoses for a central vacuum system. To the left of the front entrance was the ladies’ parlor that led into the living room and extended the length of the house. To the right of the entrance was the dining room, which now serves as a conference room, and the kitchen was located behind it. A major stairwell on the back wall of the house, now gone, was quite spectacular.
On the second floor was the master bedroom which ran the length of the house on the south side, plus three other bedrooms and a bathroom. The third floor attic was left unfinished, and the five Cope children spent many of their days playing there.
Eventually all the fertilizer manufacturing plants closed and in the 1950’s the house was sold for $20,000 to Dr. Morrison, who intended for it to become home to his medical practice. Over the years, the home has also served as a beauty parlor, an insurance office, and a law firm. In 2002, the Kole’s purchased the decaying property and spent approximately one year renovating, for which they received an award from the Historic Savannah Foundation. Since 2003, Kole Management Company has been proud to call the splendid home at 1719 Abercorn Street their headquarters.